Call for volunteers!! Application Overview
English speaking volunteer staff will be onsite during the following periods.
25-29 December, 2019 and 6 – 19 January 2020
Please don’t hesitate to contact us even if you are not confident with Japanese language!
Location and Activities:
Iwaki, Fukushima Prefecture and its surrounding areas affected by Typhoon 19 and the heavy rains related to Typhoon 21.
Transportation fee from your location to Izumi station in Fukushima Prefecture is at your own cost (conditional support is applicable to volunteers who are under 35 years old and can work for more than 5 consecutive days. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details).
Upon consultation with the local social welfare councils, local governments, and NPOs, and considering existing support, we are currently active in the affected areas in Iwaki city.
– Management support of Iwaki Disaster Volunteer Center
– Cleaning of affected houses
– Distributing supplies and meals to affected persons
– Other relief activities
Activities may change or cancelled due to the local situation (including weather).
October 2019 to 29th February, 2020 (subject to change).
*The base will be closed for new year holiday from 30 December to 2 January.
Accommodation is available onsite for volunteers who can work for two or more days (please arrive in Izumi in the evening prior to your first work day).
– Please complete the registration at latest 2 days before your arrival date.
– PBV Accommodation is available only for the volunteers who can work onsite for two or more days (excluding your arrival day)
– Volunteers must be in good physical condition, and aged between 18 and 70
– For minors, please submit the Underage Consent Form (please contact us)
– Volunteers must be insured with the “Volunteer Insurance -Natural Disaster Type” available at social welfare centers prior to the meeting date. To apply online: https://www.saigaivc.com/insurance/ , To apply in person: Applications can be made at any social welfare center (irrespective of your registered residency). Please apply for the insurance prior to arriving in the affected area to avoid congestion and delays. “Natural Disaster Type（天災タイプ）” is the recommended insurance type for volunteers as it covers accidents caused by natural disasters. As insurance comes into effect the day after application, please apply the day prior to moving to the disaster affected site. PBV’s Disaster Volunteer Program is ran in cooperation with Iwaki social welfare center. Volunteers who have not applied for insurance prior to meeting will not be able to participate.
Volunteers must have the following items ready:
Must-have equipment: helmet, goggles, windbreaker, gloves (available for rental on site)
Participation Fee: 1,000yen (Only for those who are staying on-site overnight. The price is set regardless of the duration of your stay). Fees will be collected on-site. For PBV Annual Support Members, there is no fee charged.
*Although not required, volunteers with driving experience are welcomed.
Meeting Time and Place
Time: 18:30 on Monday/ Wednesday/ Friday or Sunday (the actual work starts on the next day)
Place: JR Izumi Station, South Exit, in front of Izumi Police Box, Iwaki East Police Station
Our staff (wearing navy/blue vest) will pick you up, so please be there on time. As parking spaces are limited, please let us know in advance if you re arriving by your private car. After meeting, we will conduct an orientation, explain the schedule of the activities and have you sign some paperwork.
Finishing (departure) time
Time: Around 18:30 after the program is completed on your departure day.
Place: We will take you to Izumi station,
*Please let us know in advance if you want to leave earlier than 18:30 or stay over and leave in the next morning.
HOW TO REGISTER
Advanced registration is required. Should you wish to join, please read Terms and Conditions and provide the following information in your message to relief＠pbv.or.jp 2 days before the date you intend to arrived.
■ Name (in alphabet)：
■ Name (in Katakana, if known)：
■ Phone number in Japan：
■ E-mail address：
■ Address (prefecture of residence in Japan)：
■ Age and Date of Birth：
■ I have read and agreed to the Terms and Conditions：Yes/ No
■ Date of arrival in Izumi station (Fukushima), please arrive on Monday, Wednesday, Friday or Sunday:
■ Date of departure from Izumi station:
* Please note: Volunteer Center and PBV base will be closed from 30 December to 2 January, 2020. Accommodation is full from 3 to 5 January, 2020. Thank you!
■ Means of travel to Izumi station： Train, Bus, Own Vehicle, Other (please specify):
■ Type of your driver’s License, if any：
■ Will you be able to drive during the relief activities if required?: Yes/ No
■ Allergies or other health conditions that PBV should note, if any：
■ Experience in disaster relief volunteer activities (if any, please specify):
■ Questions (if any)?
Other additional information
What to bring/ wear
[Health insurance card/ certificate] –Necessary in case you see doctor on-site. Original copy only.
[Volunteer insurance certificate] —Copy or Screenshot OK. Volunteer Insurance can be purchased online at: https://www.saigaivc.com/insurance/
[Work Clothes] – Long trousers, long-sleeved T-shirts and comfortable shoes during volunteer work.
[Other] – Changing work clothes and other daily needs for the number of days, drinking wate r, cash, medication if needed, driver’s license if you drive onsite.
* Please check weather forecast for Fukushima and bring appropriate clothing to the climate. Refrain from overly exposing skin or looking inappropriate, please wear modest clothing.
On-site Rental Goods
・ Helmets ・ Goggles ・ Dust masks ・ Waterproof jacket and trousers ・ Leather gloves, Rubber gloves ・ Safety Inner soles
* All rental goods are second-hand and availability is limited. Please bring your own items where possible. * Boots are available for rental in different sizes from 24cm to 27cm (in increments of 1 cm), but number of boots available in each size is limited and we cannot guarantee that we can provide a pair in the exact size you will need. If you need a pair in larger size or in exact size of your preference, please bring your own pair.
Information on Volunteer Base/ Accommodation
▼PBV Volunteer Base in Iwaki
PBV Volunteer Base is located in Onahama area in Iwaki. The orientation will be held at the base upon your arrival. The base has been offered to our volunteers with courtesy by the local people. Please keep the accommodation space clean and tidy so that we can return it to the owner in the original condition.
・The rooms are separated by gender, just like a hostel or dormitory. You will be sharing the room with other volunteers.
・Electricity and running water are available.
・Participation fee: JPY 1,000
*The participation fee will be collected on-site to cover the cost of utilities (Free of charge for PBV Annual Support Members).
・Meals are not provided at the accommodation. There are convenience store, restaurants and supermarket in walking distance from the PBV base.
Sleeping bag will be provided at the base.
Basic cooking facility is available at the base. Please note that hot meal distrbution team has priority to use the kitchen.
▼ Bath and shower
There is no bathing facility at the accommodation. Kindly use public bath in the neighborhood (JPY 550-750 per visit). Bring your towel.
There is no washing machine in the accommodation. If you need to do laundry, please use laundromat in the neighborhood (about 5 minutes’ walk).
・Special exemption of highway tall fee for registered vehicles for disaster relief (website in Japanese) https://www.e-nexco.co.jp/road_info/important_info/h31/1015/